"World Peace..." - looks to chart in US in lower teens

Weird Al outselling Morrissey in the US by a factor of 5-6 to 1.

Early Numbers Show Weird Al Yankovic Headed For First Number 1 Next Week - Vintage Vinyl News (via Music-News.com)

Excerpt:

The other big release for the week, Morrissey's World Peace is None of Your Business, is looking to sell between 14,000 and 16,000 in the U.S., putting it in the lower teens. The album is currently vying for the number 1 spot in the U.K. with Ed Sheeran.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm upset about it, too... I hate that all these high hopes I had for the record being a big success have been dashed. I feel bad about it. Strangely enough, I feel kind of embarrassed as a member of the country who "loves Moz the most" or whatever...

Maybe it's God's way of saying "He's my best kept secret."

Here's what I think about #1.

THe type of people who go out and buy albums based on the lead-out single and generate #1 ranking numbers are the type of people who want to be uplifted by music. Hook them with the brainless, upbeat positive song then reel them in to buy the album and then have them hear the heavy stuff and ponder it. World Peace Is None Of Your Business while beautiful, was too heavy to be a top ten song. Kiss Me A Lot should've been the ONLY single released before the album and would've ousted Sheeran from the #1 spot. THere would've been twittertalk that "Morrissey is actually happy!" rather than the usual "Oh here we go again, Morrissey talking about serious stuff." and all the brainless teenyboppers and twenty-somethings who still live at home and have a spare $12 to download the album would've latched onto the "I wanna hear this happy Morrissey song" and bought it and craved more when the album was released.

#1 spots are made by giving the public what they want to hear, that everything is okay and there's nothing to worry about. Or a love song.

There's a reason demographic polls are made. Dumdum's buy records. Cater to the dumdums.

Last edited:
I'm upset about it, too... I hate that all these high hopes I had for the record being a big success have been dashed. I feel bad about it. Strangely enough, I feel kind of embarrassed as a member of the country who "loves Moz the most" or whatever...

Nothing to be embarrassed about!

THe type of people who go out and buy albums based on the lead-out single and generate #1 ranking numbers are the type of people who want to be uplifted by music. Hook them with the brainless, upbeat positive song then reel them in to buy the album and then have them hear the heavy stuff and ponder it. World Peace Is None Of Your Business while beautiful, was too heavy to be a top ten song. Kiss Me A Lot should've been the ONLY single released before the album and would've ousted Sheeran from the #1 spot. THere would've been twittertalk that "Morrissey is actually happy!" rather than the usual "Oh here we go again, Morrissey talking about serious stuff." and all the brainless teenyboppers and twenty-somethings who still live at home and have a spare $12 to download the album would've latched onto the "I wanna hear this happy Morrissey song" and bought it and craved more when the album was released.

#1 spots are made by giving the public what they want to hear, that everything is okay and there's nothing to worry about. Or a love song.

There's a reason demographic polls are made. Dumdum's buy records. Cater to the dumdums.

So much this!

I really like you. Strangely I've always liked you.

He has no one to blame but himself for promoting the Hell out of weak albums but not lifting a finger to promote this one.

This is a train wreck that I called months ago...
Don't be such a bullshitter. You were called out because you said the album would be crap & you were left with egg on your face.
Now you have the gall to jump on this & say see, evwee-one (suck suck) i told you so. Na na, na na na.

I give you personal credit though for trying to think OPs are all stupid, that takes a special ego.

Duck Dynasty did for Morrissey's late night US television chances at least for the time being.

He wouldn't have got away with dictating to those shows at any point in his career, so why the hell he thought he could then is anyones guess. Bafflingly stupid.
Those shows have organisers Look at it this way. Why put The DD gang on the same show as a strict animal lover. He was set up & dealt with it the only way he ever deals with most situs He gave his side & got served up.

Think about it. If i was an executive on that show i would have grilled the organisers. It was poor form.

Those shows have organisers Look at it this way. Why put The DD gang on the same show as a strict animal lover. He was set up & dealt with it the only way he ever deals with most situs He gave his side & got served up.

Think about it. If i was an executive on that show i would have grilled the organisers. It was poor form.

I don't understand the criticism for doing what he did. I would have acted the same way.

Damn, I miss him. I wish he would perform on TV again.

i think the only thing that wouldve really helped the album in terms of sales or just general reception that dont go to stupid or extreme compromising lengths were interviews. he could have explained, well and compelling as he always has been in print, what some of the songs mean and what inspired them as i see a lot of weird interpretations of songs and intentions. people could have used that insight and had there general opinion changed or maybe have been more open to see other ideas in the songs that were not as obvious on first listen. also though maybe hes just tired of always explaining and doesnt care if people figure it out at all. most morrissey albums have been grumpy angry or cantankerous but theres been this kinda resilience/humor in staring it down or resolve in weathering through it all and i dont see those moments in this album. he mostly just seems grumpy which is fine by me but most people dont seem as willing to give any benefit of the doubt at all this time around. echoing freds avatar i cant say that i like most people either.

I think he has hurt the cause of animal rights more than helped by refusing to be on a show with Duck Dynasty while wearing leather shoes, eating dairy, etc.. People see the hypocrisy and it makes animal rights people look nuts. I mean the cows killed on factory farms that produced his milk and the baby cows used for his soft leather had miserable deaths too. Also, his comment about Norway didn't help the animals at all. It did quite the opposite. He could have expressed his views at a better time.

I think he has hurt the cause of animal rights more than helped by refusing to be on a show with Duck Dynasty while wearing leather shoes, eating dairy, etc.. People see the hypocrisy and it makes animal rights people look nuts. I mean the cows killed on factory farms that produced his milk and the baby cows used for his soft leather had miserable deaths too. Also, his comment about Norway didn't help the animals at all. It did quite the opposite. He could have expressed his views at a better time.

How do you know his shoes are leather? He may have stopped eating dairy by now as well. He was eating dairy last year.

How do you know his shoes are leather? He may have stopped eating dairy by now as well. He was eating dairy last year.

He admitted before that he wore leather shoes. He may very well have stopped, but he was still wearing them in the 90s.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom