Years of Refusal postponed

Erm, it's pretty widely seen to be offensive actually.
Just because you've used a word for years doesn't mean you still should - especially when there are countless other words you could've used.

I'm not defending Theo, but I don't see "spastic" as an offensive word. Infact, I had to really think hard about why it might be. I think I know what you're getting at, but maybe its something thats more offensive in the UK? I've never heard anyone over here get offended by the use of it.

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=32837

up-1morrissey.jpg

Morrissey Takes His Time, Delays New Album
8/7/2008 By Brock Thiessen

Bad news Morrissey fans: the Mozzer is postponing his upcoming album, Years of Refusal. His new record was originally due out next month, but the songwriter’s publicist says things are now on hold, giving no word on a possible new release date.

Refusal was being produced by Jerry Finn, who also was at the boards for Morrissey's 2004 album You are the Quarry. In July, Finn suffered a severe brain haemorrhage and is still in an L.A. hospital. However, in Billboard’s initial report, they were unclear as to whether Finn’s unexpected illness was the reason behind the delay.

Years of Refusal will mark Morrissey's first studio album since 2006’s Ringleader of the Tormentors, which has sold 98,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. (This number is considered good, right?)

In other Moz news, plans are still underway for a reissue of Morrissey's 1995 album Southpaw Grammar, which will come sporting three previously unreleased tracks and new artwork, but again, no street date

Best get back on the road and play every dingy club and run-down theater you can find, ala 1999-2002.

I'm not defending Theo, but I don't see "spastic" as an offensive word. Infact, I had to really think hard about why it might be. I think I know what you're getting at, but maybe its something thats more offensive in the UK? I've never heard anyone over here get offended by the use of it.

It is very offensive if you think about it. As is retarded which I've noticed a lot of Americans use. Perhaps disability rights groups aren't as powerful as other minority rights groups in the US?

It is very offensive if you think about it. As is retarded which I've noticed a lot of Americans use. Perhaps disability rights groups aren't as powerful as other minority rights groups in the US?

I've only known "spastic" to mean crazy, or doing things in a hurry, running around in a "tizzy" if you will. i have never heard it being referred to a disabled person. just like "Paki" is not an offensive word here in the US. and just like "c***" has a much lighter meaning in the UK than here in the US.

that's sad. but I'd rather wait another 4 months than have a half baked album. let's hope the delay will allow more time for improvement.

i think we can all agree it really should come out on january 27th,thus i can sit and enjoy it on my birthday,january 28th.makes perfect sense to me.:p

Maybe that's the answer:

First Prince did it then McCartney then McFly last week - give your album away with a Sunday Paper...

I think Years Of Refusal should be given away free with News OF The World!

It's only Radiohead that have done it with an album that's actually worth listening to though.

According to the bbc one studio insider said that Years of refusal had been postponed because "it was another ridiculous self pitying title and the songs were a load of old wank".

The point was more that Theo was pretending to be so appalled that people want to hear the new record, and pretending that people here "don't care" about Jerry Finn's health. In contrast to being so concerned and sensitive, using the word "spastic" stood out to me. It's only as big of a deal as anyone wants to make it, but, like "retard", it's using a word that applies to a condition as a way to put down people.

No comment on you having to "really think hard" about it. :p

" Spazz redirects here. This article is about the word. For the band, see Spazz (band).

Look up spastic in
Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

The word spastic is used differently depending on location which has led to some controversy and misunderstanding. The term generally originates from spasticity, a medical condition characterized by hypertonia, or a high degree of muscle tightness. Spasticity underlies spastic diplegia and many other forms of cerebral palsy. But the word in common speech can also be used in a pejorative context. The level of severity depends on whether one understands it as it is used in the United States or the United Kingdom [1]. In the UK it can be considered highly abusive and taboo[2], while in the US it is more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness and carries few offensive connotations."

The whole point was that, if you're going to pretend to be shocked and offended about people downloading and being uncaring, you can't use words like spastic, retard, n*****, or f***** in the same post or you look sort of obviously phony. I mean, self-righteousness is bad enough, but when it's obviously fake and just another tactic to troll the board it's worse, and I felt like I had to say something. ;)

It's only Radiohead that have done it with an album that's actually worth listening to though.

According to the bbc one studio insider said that Years of refusal had been postponed because "it was another ridiculous self pitying title and the songs were a load of old wank".

Is that an official statement?! :eek::eek: :D

Where did you get this comment?
I bet it's only your opinion that you added BBC insider in order to make it credible.

Back
Top Bottom