Years of Refusal vs Chinese Democracy?

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
The rumors are growing that the long awaited (by some) Guns n' Roses album, Chinese Democracy, will be released this September. The evidence is piling up as GNR have recently given permission for a new song to be used on an upcoming popular video game "Rockband 2" and rumors are swirling that the new GNR will make their return to the rock scene at the September MTV Video Music Awards and subsequently release four albums worth of material.

Now, I wouldn't bet my life savings on the actual release of Chinese Democracy; however, I do wonder if it might not be a bad idea for Moz and Decca to move up the September release date of Years of Refusal? I'd love to see Moz have another #1 album, and it just isn't going to happen against a Guns n' Roses release (whatever your opinion of their music my be).

So, Decca are you watching the marketplace? Are you helping our boy?:confused:

I don't think one release will really affect the other. Not too much overlap in audiences, despite the GNR fans here.

Personally I am not a fan, although, in a swap of tragically alienated guitarists, I'd pay money to hear Johnny Marr compose for Axl Rose and Slash for Morrissey. Could be peachy, that.

nice suggestion. i honestly don't know what to say about that. on one hand i would love to see morrissey get another #1 record but on the other hand, i just don't see that happening and i think decca knows that. :cool:

I dont know how I feel on this. First being the American that I am I wonder how popular G&R is in the UK. Though I be willing to be with even a week or two of time between the two Years of Refusal will do fine. And in any case will be a solid top 10 album.

you mean that chinese democracy hasn't already come out? damn!

not that i was going to buy it, but you can understand my confusion about why I know the title of this album when i have no idea what's going on out there in the world.

I don't think one release will really affect the other. Not too much overlap in audiences, despite the GNR fans here.

Personally I am not a fan, although, in a swap of tragically alienated guitarists, I'd pay money to hear Johnny Marr compose for Axl Rose and Slash for Morrissey. Could be peachy, that.

Well, I'm not saying they're appealing to the same audience. I'm simply saying if you are Morrissey and you want a #1 chart position for your album (which he does) than don't release it the same week Chinese Democracy is set to drop. Just to place things in perspective: Appetite for Destruction still sells over 190,000 copies a year (20 years after its release). I think Southpaw sold 60,000+ total? I'd like Mozzer to get another #1 album (even if it is for a week).

P.S. The new GNR had (Axl fired him) a flash guitarist named "Buckethead" who recorded many tracks for the upcoming album. He performs on stage with a KFC hat on his head and a mask covering his face. More importantly, he claims he was raised by chickens and even had GNR build him a chicken coop in the studio. I don't know if Buckethead eats his friends, but surely a Buckethead/Morrissey line up would produce some interesting tracks!:):):):guitar:

Well, I'm not saying they're appealing to the same audience. I'm simply saying if you are Morrissey and you want a #1 chart position for your album (which he does) than don't release it the same week Chinese Democracy is set to drop. Just to place things in perspective: Appetite for Destruction still sells over 190,000 copies a year (20 years after its release). I think Southpaw sold 60,000+ total? I'd like Mozzer to get another #1 album (even if it is for a week).

P.S. The new GNR had (Axl fired him) a flash guitarist named "Buckethead" who recorded many tracks for the upcoming album. He performs on stage with a KFC hat on his head and a mask covering his face. More importantly, he claims he was raised by chickens and even had GNR build him a chicken coop in the studio. I don't know if Buckethead eats his friends, but surely a Buckethead/Morrissey line up would produce some interesting tracks!:):):):guitar:

Ah, right. I didn't see that angle. I guess I assumed Morrissey would not take the No. 1 position in any event. :rolleyes:

I am of the opinion that a record is more impressive if it sells more copies and remains at or near the upper reaches of the charts for a longish period of time. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Which is why I have to roll my eyes (which I did, above, with my cleverly planted blue emoticon...see it?) at the notion that "Ringleader Of The Tormentors" was a smash hit success, and why I don't care one bit if G n R hogs the top spot. I'd be happier if Morrissey remained at #17 for 17 weeks.

I have seen the whelp you mention. I guess he's Axl's Vini Reilly. I don't rate him. Of course, I wasn't listening to him much, because when I saw the big splashy post-Slash MTV performance I was too busy screaming in mortal agony at the sight of Tommy Stinson playing for a weirdo in biker shorts and a guy with a KFC tub over his head. In fact, just thinking about it has made me lightheaded...I need to sit down and fan myself with my copy of "Hootenanny".

Izzy Stradlin was the main songwriter in GNR. Slash just added his pyrotechnics on his compositions.

bloody hell

in that case you wont be disapointed

Okay you haters!:)

Personally, I've always liked GNR. I think they are a great hard rock band. From the nine songs I've heard from the Chinese Democracy leaks, I think one has to conclude Axl has grown as a lyricist. The new music is diverse, contemporary, and is basically a brand new sound. Not an easy task to accomplish.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a complete Axl apologist, I will state he has removed tracks some found offense from GNR "Lies" and "The Spaghetti Incident." I think at the very least demonstrates a growing maturity to him.

Now feel free to bash away and call him white trash...

Back
Top Bottom