Morrissey Central "FORTY YEARS AGO" (January 9, 2024)

aea277daa0414b945f48cbc84e9f94368f68bb46.gif

What Difference Does It Make? (Rough Trade Records)

Johnny ripped the guitar rift for What difference.. from Ten pole Tudors - Swords of a thousand men. I think Morrissey had an issue with that as he wanted the Smiths to sound different to all that had gone before

Can you remember your first ever hearing of the smiths?

I certainly can. Honestly, Vauxhall and I came out that year and that was literally my first experience (and it was GREAT) with anything Morrissey. Life changing, I was in 8th grade.

So, I already had V&I and sat next to this zany girl in science class who wore a Smiths T-shirt with Morrissey as the photo. I was like 'I know who that is', and she immediately let me borrow her cassette of Meat Is Murder LP. That was my first taste of Smiths, technically. The first Smiths LP I owned though was Hatful (within the same year), which is still an absolute treasure of mine.

How old were yous guys when this was released ?

I’ll start. I was 9 going on 10.
Wouldn’t hear of The Smith’s for another 4 years
19 and life was fantastic.

I certainly can. Honestly, Vauxhall and I came out that year and that was literally my first experience (and it was GREAT) with anything Morrissey. Life changing, I was in 8th grade.

So, I already had V&I and sat next to this zany girl in science class who wore a Smiths T-shirt with Morrissey as the photo. I was like 'I know who that is', and she immediately let me borrow her cassette of Meat Is Murder LP. That was my first taste of Smiths, technically. The first Smiths LP I owned though was Hatful (within the same year), which is still an absolute treasure of mine.
I hope you married her? from my recollection, Female Smiths fans were like gold dust.

This German band paying homage to The Smiths, not only in the lyrics, but with a sound a like intro to WDDIM too.

Last edited:
Kinda remember hearin' about this one.
They got sued for the usin' the guy on the cover, so they had
to go ahead and re-shoot it with Moz on the cover.

the-smiths-what-difference-does-it-make-rare-morrissey-cover-uk-1984-7_45376153

My first recollection ( I think) was from the compilation album, now that’s what I call music 2, with WDDIM.
I can sort of remember playing this album to death, and really enjoying WDDIM.
Like most on here, it was the voice first, then the words, with those fascinating guitar noises, the like I’d never experienced before.
When I started my first job after leaving school at 15, I worked with a guy who I had went to school with and just lived a stones throw away from me, he was 4 years older than me, and he had the first 2 Smiths albums constantly on play in the back of the shop.
When he left, I was heartbroken, he was a great guy ( still bump into him and his wife now and again) the swine took all his cassettes with him.
I soon realised that I was a fan, then I went out and bought what I could in all the local record shops.
We had loads of independent record shops in those days, so it wasn’t ever to difficult to get anything by The Smiths.

Kinda remember hearin' about this one.
They got sued for the usin' the guy on the cover, so they had
to go ahead and re-shoot it with Moz on the cover.

the-smiths-what-difference-does-it-make-rare-morrissey-cover-uk-1984-7_45376153
They didn't get sued, Stamp (initially) just refused permission for the image to be used

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom