Has listening to Swords made you change your mind about any of the songs?

Maurice E

Listening to b-sides on singles is a fiddly business. Unless it's an obviously great song, you would normally only listen to it three or four times before giving up. When they're on an album tho, they're much easier to digest.
And, well, basically, it's confession time for me. I think I do actually now quite like Sweetie Pie!
I'd previously written it off completely.
Come back Mikey - all is forgiven!
Anyone had similar experiences with this or other songs?

Listening to b-sides on singles is a fiddly business. Unless it's an obviously great song, you would normally only listen to it three or four times before giving up. When they're on an album tho, they're much easier to digest.
And, well, basically, it's confession time for me. I think I do actually now quite like Sweetie Pie!
I'd previously written it off completely.
Come back Mikey - all is forgiven!
Anyone had similar experiences with this or other songs?

As I haven't bought Swords, I haven't listened to it as such.

I do like Sweetie Pie, though. And the alternative version. :thumb:

Not really. I loved most of them before, and I still do now. I'm a B-side kind of girl. :p
I'm not mad about Sweetie Pie though; I adore the alternative version that was posted earlier in the year, and I still think it's far superior.

Yes, Good looking man about town. Somehow I really really like it, and I think it is a great opening track, whereas before I did not pay much attention :)

I have to question this, I find it incredibly easy to dive into the morrissey section in my media player libary and double click on any single/album I feel like hearing, and the singles are of a convienient length for quick listening because the A-Sides are on the album rather than in the single folder!

I urge people to try the method I use, I love it!

On topic though, maybe i just dismissed Sweetie Pie too readily at first, but the extra listen on swords has definetly helped it grow on me a little more. Lovely lyrics.

I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed my copy of Swords.

My Dearest Love is great, that bass line is killer plus I've also re-discovered Ganglord.

Sweetie Pie is a real grower - I think he should do more tracks with 'experimental' production, sometimes this can make it more interesting than 'straight' band live performances.

Funny thing I didn't have a clue about what man about town meant, until I saw the first episode of I love Money. Now I get it, great song imo.

I could make an album out of Swords, stripped down to 10 or 11 song and it would be better then YOR.

So far I enjoy Swords better then YOR and Ringleaders.

Where can I find the alternative version of Sweetie Pie?

I still haven't got my copy. It was shipped last MOnday. Where is it then????

I could make an album out of Swords, stripped down to 10 or 11 song and it would be better then YOR.
So far I enjoy Swords better then YOR and Ringleaders.
Where can I find the alternative version of Sweetie Pie?

yep, there are tons of great songs. the lyrics and musical styles are so much more interesting than most of the generic indie plod that's filled the last three studio albums...

As someone noted above, even though I've had all these songs before, they typically only got a few cursory listens in the past. Hearing them now they sound familiar, but they also have a newness that makes me want to hear them again.

Glad I bought it!

Swords has made me appreciate some really beautiful songs which somehow I nearly forgot about. Especially If you don't like me....(amazing) and Ganglord which soudes just so good. The B sides are somehow the lost gems...
Cheers Moz

Not so much listening to "Swords", as I haven't purchased it, but last night "Teenage Dad On His Estate" was sublime.

I was at a stoplight 5 minutes ago, on my way home from dropping a kid off at kindergarten, and that song was playing. Loudly. And when it reached the whole "Methadone" part with that gorgeous gorgeous melody I drifted off and thought...

Morrissey better make the final cut for NPR's 50 Greatest Voices because his vocals are the best out there. Period. His melodies, his phrasing, his range and most of all his emotion.... It's all there and it's all real and completely unmanufactured. He's the complete antithesis to the appalling state of the music industry today. He's our most unique voice. Yet still so criminally under valued.

Now that I have it, I think Swords is less of a "B Sides" album and more of a strong album on it's own. It hasn't changed my mind about the songs, it just makes me love them more, especially Sweetie Pie. I still prefer the original version. And "My Life is an Endless Succession..." also really stands out for me.

Now I'm looking forward to picking up the kid this afternoon, because Friday Mourning will be playing :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom