Has listening to Swords made you change your mind about any of the songs?

Julie - couldn't have said it better myself (well I probably could but..)
Guess we should just consider ourselves charmed to know what we and the rest of Moz fans around the world have come to know.
It really is all or nothing with Morrissey though. You either get it or you don't.
I think most of the masses just don't wanna think

I was at a stoplight 5 minutes ago, on my way home from dropping a kid off at kindergarten, and that song was playing. Loudly. And when it reached the whole "Methadone" part with that gorgeous gorgeous melody I drifted off and thought...

Morrissey better make the final cut for NPR's 50 Greatest Voices because his vocals are the best out there. Period. His melodies, his phrasing, his range and most of all his emotion.... It's all there and it's all real and completely unmanufactured. He's the complete antithesis to the appalling state of the music industry today. He's our most unique voice. Yet still so criminally under valued.

Now that I have it, I think Swords is less of a "B Sides" album and more of a strong album on it's own. It hasn't changed my mind about the songs, it just makes me love them more, especially Sweetie Pie. I still prefer the original version. And "My Life is an Endless Succession..." also really stands out for me.

Now I'm looking forward to picking up the kid this afternoon, because Friday Mourning will be playing :thumb:

I'll never understand how come Friday Mourning became a B-side. It's one of the best songs ever written.

Having all these songs in one album forces me in a way to listen to all of them and so have to admit I appreciate some of them more in this context.

If I'm going to be honest, I hadn't given many of the songs on Swords much of a listen to before this was released. Now I just can't stop playing Teenage Dad - totally obsessed with this song at the moment, and play it several times a day! I think hearing it live a couple of times recently has added to my obsession. Also Ganglord and Drive-in Saturday sound pretty fantastic to at the moment.

I realized I hate Sweetie Pie more than I could have ever thought possible.

Just can't get into Sweetie Pie but my song of the day is Shame is the Name.. no it's If You Don't Like Me.... then i always liked Children in Pieces too...

Ganglord has grown on me, like Don't Make Fun of Daddy's voice did.

EDIT: Sweetie Pie alt version intro sounds good. I'm pausing it so i can lament in the dark, when i stop typing.

Last edited:
Now that I have it, I think Swords is less of a "B Sides" album and more of a strong album on it's own. It hasn't changed my mind about the songs, it just makes me love them more, especially Sweetie Pie. I still prefer the original version. And "My Life is an Endless Succession..." also really stands out for me.

You are so right. Swords is so perfectly sequenced. I listen to Swords all the time now. I heart "Never Played Symphonies and yes Sweetie Pie is like, Visconti described it, a macabre dreamscape.

You are so right. Swords is so perfectly sequenced. I listen to Swords all the time now. I heart "Never Played Symphonies and yes Sweetie Pie is like, Visconti described it, a macabre dreamscape.

I'm gonna go with you on this, i'm loving Swords mixed with a couple from Revelation. The two you mention are my least favourite songs but i ended up really liking Dear God Please Help Me and the previously hated Moon River cover ... just takes time, sometimes.

Dearest Love has the similar smashing drums to Pigsty, with the piano the song is so drive. I'm loving that now!

Oh, NPS and Sweetie Pie coming up... hit me.

Listening to b-sides on singles is a fiddly business. Unless it's an obviously great song, you would normally only listen to it three or four times before giving up. When they're on an album tho, they're much easier to digest.
And, well, basically, it's confession time for me. I think I do actually now quite like Sweetie Pie!
I'd previously written it off completely.
Come back Mikey - all is forgiven!
Anyone had similar experiences with this or other songs?

Totally agree with you Maurice. The first time I heard Sweetie Pie I thought WTF this is awful, but after repeated listenings it has grown on me so much, I particularly like the ah ha's towards the end. I find the original version edges the alt.version for me, mainly because it's so different and dreamy.
Shame is the name, My dearest love and Ganglord are great too, but I liked them from the off. I appreciate having them all on the same album.Although I don't like the cover pic the ones inside are great especially the sailor suit one! so that makes up for it:)
It is so handy ha

I usually don't bother with B-sides, so Swords is like a new album for me and I love it. Ganglords is the best song he has released for a long time now. The album is my opinion isn't perfect, I just can't get my head around Sweetie Pie and I would lose the Bowie cover version, but apart from that it's great.

Morrissey better make the final cut for NPR's 50 Greatest Voices because his vocals are the best out there. Period. His melodies, his phrasing, his range and most of all his emotion.... It's all there and it's all real and completely unmanufactured. He's the complete antithesis to the appalling state of the music industry today. He's our most unique voice. Yet still so criminally underrated

So true!

Ganglord is a very powerful song. I used to get goose pimples when I went to a lot of shows in 2006 and heard it live. It works a treat as a live number. Love it!

All I did was rearrange the tracks in the order that they appear on the album. Maybe they don't segue together as well but the CD is retailing for £12.99 in HMV. No wonder noone's buying it! (There were quite a few copies in my local emporium)

I've done this rearranging and not listened to it. So I can't comment. But as we already had half of these tracks released with the Quarry deluxe album then I feel like I have listened to them quite a bit already.

To whomever is proclaiming this as his solo Louder Than Bombs... um get a grip on yourself. Cover art speaks volumes for starters

i was a big fan of my early burglary years... the swords release was not up to par to say the least... ganglord and if you don't like then don't look at me are decent but i just couldn't get into it much.

I had never realized how wonderful "Christian Dior" was until I was listening to Swords. Seems like he's making a direct confession. I've always loved "Munich" and "Friday."

Back
Top Bottom