"Istanbul" single (digital download) released (May 20, 2014)

Just downloaded from Amazon.
First listen - wow! Very Smiths-esque.

As noted by Ryan., the download is should also now be available to those who pre-ordered the album. CrystalGeezer notes the song is also now available on iTunes.

As mentioned by Uncleskinny, this release has not been publicized yet on Harvest Records' Twitter feed, TTY, or Morrissey's Official Facebook page.

Also now available on Spotify.

Last edited by a moderator:
The darkness reminds me a bit of JACK THE RIPPER. Love the song. Still not sure what the true single is. I would not say that this is it. I can't believe Moz is not going to have a physical release of a single. This I thought would never happen. Maybe he felt this album is not a singles type album. Anyone else venture a guess?

The darkness reminds me a bit of JACK THE RIPPER. Love the song. Still not sure what the true single is. I would not say that this is it. I can't believe Moz is not going to have a physical release of a single. This I thought would never happen. Maybe he felt this album is not a singles type album. Anyone else venture a guess?

Well, according to this article, it is the second single from the album.

http://www.ozy.com/performance/morr...sneak-peek/31667.article#.U3uS3ev6HgA.twitter

P.

I wish they didn't put it on spotify right away.

They should wait a month before putting it on any streaming service.

Why? People are just going to pirate it if it's not streamable. It's going to be on YouTube in one form or another no matter what. It's not 2003 anymore, where record companies can just say f*** everybody, buy the CD or you're not going to hear it legally. It's not grounded in reality.

Great song, it's catchy, the vocals sounds so good, better than in YEARS OF REFUSAL by far, but it's too long for a single I wonder if there will be an edit version.

Once again proving how beautiful and heart-wrenching a pop song can be.

"...What have I done?"

The melody is incredible...and I love the Jack the Ripper comparisons. This song is going to be amazing live...

It's too bad the lyric is so boring and impersonal, 'cause the production and melody are both surprisingly beautiful. Tonally, it's definitely a descendant of Jack the Ripper, as is being rightly recognized. Just wish he was singing something relatable and not another half-baked 'political' observation.

We posted our review at 1:30pm today on another thread which mysteriously hasn't been merged with the main one about this single release. No matter. We have some further thoughts in light of the following article containing a brief interview with producer Joe Chiccarelli:

"Morrissey wanted to evoke the feeling of the hectic and chaotic streets of the city of Istanbul,” says Chiccarelli. So he used a cigar-box guitar, a lap steel guitar and a complicated and busy drum rhythm, plus “an actual gong as percussion, as well as vocal samples from a field recording taken in the streets of Istanbul by guitarist Jesse Tobias.”

Which sounds just about genius to us."

http://www.ozy.com/performance/morr...sneak-peek/31667.article#.U3uS3ev6HgA.twitter

And 8 hours later it still sounds like a heartbreaking work of staggering genius to us.

The portal opened and in a flash, "Morrissey" redeemed every mistake. Overwhelmed by emotion, we struggle to absorb the swirling sonic pools which effortlessly morph and weld the labyrinthine beauties of a template laid out intially by Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir", then Jeff Buckley's "Eternal Life". And, of course, "How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths. Whoever wrote this music has grounds for life-long celebration. And like the first single, the production on the second rises above the brain-damaging obsession with being a "radio-friendly unit-shifter" to deliver an aural landscape that even in MP3 format is diverse and cinematic.

Opening with the call to prayer, this profound prayer could not possibly have come from anyone tormented by covert demons of racism or religious, cultural intolerance. In our minds eye we see ourselves in the shisha bars, coffee shops and balti houses of Small Heath and Sparkhill as this track plays from the speakers and the Punjabi Blinder brothers and sisters turn their heads to inquire of "BrummieBoy" who is responsible for this epochal act of musical 'jihad for peace'. Tonight we will be there in person to celebrate this song's release with members of our global family, friends and community. This party can't wait till Friday but we think the whirling dervish dancing may last from tonight until the weekend......

Easily eclipsing previous artistic triumphs, the greatest event of Morrissey's life as a singer fittingly isn't about his personal challenges. What is utterly astonishing is that there is no bifurcation between the narrator and the emotional intensity of the singer. It's not "Morrissey" singing this song. "Morrissey"'s voice is channeling forces beyond his personal identity. He is channeling the pain and despair of millions. At long last, a work of art that truly deserves "global, religious fame". Not for some 'pop star vanity project' but as part of the wider campaign to Stop The War. "World Orphans Are None Of Your Business".

We have suffered serious illness and recovered almost miraculously. At times we felt there was no hope on either a personal or global level. Coming from B10, "BrummieBoy" watched the flow of humanity on the streets near St Andrews change from refugees from Ireland and Jamaica to 'fugees' from Pakistan, Iraq, Somalia and now Syria. All through this period there was quiet despair that so few with the power of celebrity in popular culture were even attempting to engage these issues, lost in a tedious nonsensical competition for personal 'fame' as if that's going to save anyone if Collapse unfolds. Now we can relax and let go. We don't have to do it. Morrissey has done it. And nothing can ever be the same again. He's not "back", this isn't a "return to form", it's a quantum leap into a parallel dimension. Or this "Morrissey" has come from another parallel reality. This iteration of "Morrissey" has never existed. "I Will See You In Far Off Places" was a practise run, but this is quite simply one of the most beautiful and moving performances ever by any serious artist.

We issued the fatwa when "Morrissey" jumped the shark with his comments about Madonna. Her adopted son was not a public figure, not a celebrity or an anonymous number in some vast global disaster. He had a name and his name was shamed and traduced. The failure to issue a heartfelt apology for so many years meant we finally had no choice. Once issued, it's supposedly impossible to retract, but we now do so and instruct our disciples to accept our authority in this precedent. Make it so.

And because of these words, our work here is done. We dearly hope that the simmering ill-will and suspicions about "Morrissey" now evaporates and everybody gets behind this song to drive it into the firmanent. It is irrelevant if this performer lapses into Diva mode or is sometimes incorrigibly cantakerous exhibiting challenging behaviour and difficult to meet needs. This song is an important political statement. This song needs to resound around the world. Not for him, not for his 'career' or his seemingly tragic 'fame'. This song is more important than "Morrissey" or the entirely bankrupt concept of 'The Fame' through 'Art-Pop'. It needs to be heard to bring attention to the plight of every every little boy and girl orphaned in the storm, exposed to child abuse and enforced prostitution.

"World Orphans Are None Of Your Business"

We believe this is one of the most important songs we have ever heard. It is truly a heartbreaking work of staggering genius and we are glad we remained on the planet to hear it. In fundamentalist Islam, music is stigmatised as 'haram', as are moving images and dancing. But in Birmingham and Istanbul, the Sufi dance to this music begins today and will, ensh'Allah, expand outwards in ripples of peace around the world until the sun explodes.

With every good wish
"BrummieBoy"
Pax Vobiscum. Shalom. Salaam.

The Shire and Mordor
Tuesday 20th April 2014 CE
13:00 hrs.

“Sufism is not a religion or a philosophy, it is neither deism nor atheism, nor is it a moral, nor a special kind of mysticism, being free from the usual religious sectarianism. If ever it could be called a religion, it would only be as a religion of love, harmony, and beauty.”
Hazrat Inayat Khan

http://www.sufiorderuk.org/

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...Istanbul-May-21st?p=1986836952#post1986836952

It's too bad the lyric is so boring and impersonal, 'cause the production and melody are both surprisingly beautiful. Tonally, it's definitely a descendant of Jack the Ripper, as is being rightly recognized. Just wish he was singing something relatable and not another half-baked 'political' observation.

Do you have children? Can you imagine losing a child in war? Whether they are a solider or a freedom fighter in a civil war? Anyone who has lost a loved one this way can relate. And there are many. But can you at least empathize?

Last edited:
Do you have children? Can you imagine losing a child in war? Whether they are a solider or a freedom fighter in a civil war? Anyone who has lost a loved one this way can relate. And there are many. But can you at least empathize?

This song has nothing to do with war. It's about a father searching for his son, and his son was a male prostitute in Istanbul who was murdered by an anti-gay mob.

Joe can stay. Beautiful.

The most immediately satisfying song Morrissey has created since 'Now My Heart is Full'.

'World Peace is None of Your Business' grew on me but, rather like 'The World is Full of Crashing Bores' and 'I Like You', never quite achieved escape velocity for me. My seven-year-old daughter loves it, mind you. If it wasn't for her insisting we play it over and over in the car it probably wouldn't have had the chance to grow on me and would have been consigned to the status of 'You Were Good in Your Time', forever to be skipped.

'Istanbul' is like being stabbed in the heart with an apple corer.

I'm pretty sure we'd prefer you support him

I do buy the songs, I'm just saying for those who don't at least the art is accessible. At the end of the day it's not about the money.

Istanbul was played on Collins and Maconie's 6 Music show today - got the thumbs up. Sounds like they didn't like last week's single at all.
On at around 45-49 mins www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0443tsg
"Sounded great, really good, sonically interesting, loved the big soaring chorus, way better than ‘World Peace’’

Boko Haram

Here's an experiment to try to explore building empathy and compassion. Watch the latest news from Syria or Nigeria on mute with headphones pumping out "WPINOYB" and "Istanbul". What emotional effect does The Voice Of Morrissey have on you whilst you watch the torture/slaughter infotainment disguised as 'news'? When you see the footage of the young girls stolen from their homes and enslaved or used as sex slaves by "Boko Haram", can you still remain numb whilst listening to these songs? We can't and we've done it several times with increasingly distressing emotional responses.

The strongest revulsion we have encountered regarding 'Boko Haram' is on the streets of B9/B10, Sparkhill and Small Heath, Birmingham, the supposedly fundamentalist areas where "BrummieBoy" grew up in a Little Ireland now long vanished. In the leafy Shires, the anger is more restrained, but it's there. "Boko Haram" means "Western Education is Forbidden"

"they seized more than 200 girls last month, in a case which shocked the world and prompted foreign powers to send military advisors to assist Nigeria's army tackle the insurgency."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27465113

'Istanbul' isn't just about the city of Istanbul. It isn't just about that prostituted lost boy and his distraught father. It's about Boko Haram, about each and every one of those lost girls and their grieving despairing parents. And this song will one day be heard in Kano city and Borno province when Morrissey steps on stage to rapturous applause. As we said an hour after the song was released, this is Morrissey's finest moment, and a pinnacle of artistic achievement which it's hard to see anyone matching. And there is absolutely no equivocations or reservations 11 hours later.

Now, it's time to get in the car and drive to Istanbul, we mean Birmingham, to the late-night casbah coffee shops and and the Lebanese and Somali restaurants. It's 'edgy' baby, if you're a tourist but we're. We're Peaky Blinder homeboys and girls, it's our hood and we've only ever encountered racism or threats of violence from disturbed fanatics of which there are very few.

ensh'Allah

"BrummieBoy"

NB: A note on the use of 'I' and 'We'. We are not royals and use the plural as this is a group effort communicated through a single person. It is a process of 'channeling', txt msgs and Social Media PMs. And there is the ouija board and the Automatic Writing technique which Morrissey also uses. We trust that this answers the queries raised in recent emails. It's obvious that that old email address from years ago is being circulated afresh to avoid using this site's internal communication system. Yes, we monitor it but don't expect a reply as we are overwhelmed with projects and crises. If it's important, don't worry.....we'll let you know.

Articles can be wrong.
If it was a single, I imagine that notice would've been posted on TTY. It seems to just be a pre-release download, not specifically classified as a Morrissey single.

I agree, and wouldn't it have a coverart if it was a proper single? Let alone b-sides.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom