Johnny Marr responds to Morrissey's open letter via Twitter (January 26, 2022)

Last edited by a moderator:
Smiths songs are the only reason I saw Marr live, I would not have gone if he was only playing his awful solo songs.
I think he can politely dodge questions about Morrissey by just saying he doesn't care to talk about it. That's it. But then no one would really want to talk to him because there is nothing else about him that is interesting. That is the point Morrissey was getting to in his open letter, if not for Morrissey, Johnny would have nothing to discuss as his solo career is dull.
Johnny can still talk about and play the Smiths and not be a bitter little manlet about it.

Obviously I’ve seen Morrissey many times playing Smiths songs..
it’s something very emotional for me.
I’ve seen Johnny once live
And again it was a very emotional time as well.
I’m just pleased, they and , I are all
Alive to hear such beauty.....
Some time soon any one of them/ us
Will be dead .

Enjoy it all while we can .

I thought this as well. But as much as Nile is a shit who has, in the past eaten the hands that have provided
Endless wealth ... Nile , I think has had a better education than his father, and is much more a better translator, so no , in my view this was from Johnny’s hand, and a rather poor response when you put it next to Morrissey’s.
Yeah it was a petty and clumsy response considering Morrissey's fairly measured and polite letter. Morrissey doesn't do polite at the best of times.

what an absolute gimp. people do open letters all the time, usually on social media. i can see he's desperately trying to come up with some zingers but sadly has not 1/100th the wit of moz.

Moz is a little harsh to ask JM not to mention him. That's basically asking Johnny to go back 12 pages and font sizes in any magazine. Perhaps a The could be a little more gracious in interviews, but Marr seems to mourn the failed relationship in print rather than lash Morrissey for it. On a more positive note, if Simon and Garfunkel can still reunite for a tour again this year, Rourke Joyce Marr and Morrissey should be a doddle.

From now on, whenever Marr is interviewed about the Smiths, he should just refer to the singer as 'Rick Astley', and pretend he was the singer all along. Everyone's happy, history is rewritten, job done. :thumb:

True but people who think that on here are basically annoyed with him for the noise he made about Morrissey. He is very well known and liked around Manchester due to his successful DJ career at The Hacienda and he is still very active on the music scene around the city.

Made? You make it sound as if he only said something one time! He has been more vocal against Morrissey than Johnny Marr 300 times over. He is nobody's nothing and if you think being a journalist is making money or writing a book is making money then let me tell you it's all glitter on the outside. Everyone thinks that if you are in the public eye your rich. I don't know this tosser and never want to. Have all the money in the world it doesn't make you NOT a WANKER! I noticed that he is not verified on Twitter so not that many people care. He is pretending to be important.

By mentioning Trump and "fake news", he is linking Moz to the alt-right without saying it directly.

It's a double-edged sword - not just politically, but they both have narcissistic personality disorder and use fake news to get their way. As in, Johnny never said anything "savage and cruel" - Moz is making everyone think he did. No one can come up with actual quotes from Johnny. And I don't mean that he might have called him "Dorrissey" 30 years ago.

Reform the Smiths now ......
With street and cannon
Rick as mimer
Me on drums ....
£150
Per ticket

All proceeds go to
The Coors project

And

👠👠

Judy Garland as the asthmatic
Backing dancer

Of course he responds and with the stupidity to evoke the notion of relevance.
Mr, Marr your music hasn't really been a thing since the early 90's and if you didn't bring up Morrissey and The Smith in every interview no one would read them
I think the fumes from that shoe polish he uses on his hair have finally got to him.

Of course he responds and with the stupidity to evoke the notion of relevance.
Mr, Marr your music hasn't really been a thing since the early 90's and if you didn't bring up Morrissey and The Smith in every interview no one would read them
I think the fumes from that shoe polish he uses on his hair have finally got to him.
If you don’t get a like
From this post
Then your stalker
Should retire.....

Made? You make it sound as if he only said something one time! He has been more vocal against Morrissey than Johnny Marr 300 times over. He is nobody's nothing and if you think being a journalist is making money or writing a book is making money then let me tell you it's all glitter on the outside. Everyone thinks that if you are in the public eye your rich. I don't know this tosser and never want to. Have all the money in the world it doesn't make you NOT a WANKER! I noticed that he is not verified on Twitter so not that many people care. He is pretending to be important.

He’s a wanker in your eyes and a few others on here Mr Angry, outside of his site he’s actually well liked due to his influence on the Manchester music scene.

He was also a fan of Morrissey prior to the racism accusations (which I don’t agree with) over the last few years.

Last edited:
Without "the Smiths", Johnny Marr would be unknown and without Morrissey, "the Smiths" would not exist (in the past). He should be thankful that Morrissey exists 😈

A weak reply from Johnny. He obviously doesn't know Morrissey at all.

Morrissey doesn't have a problem being compared to Trump or being called a racist. What would really upset him is if Johnny Marr called him FAT.

A childish and quite strange reply, without wit or cleverness, from Marr. Was this the best he could come up with? Say what you will about Moz’ letter, but it was frank, honest and well thought-out. Replying like Marr did is what a bully would do.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom