Leeds - Millennium Square (July 12, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Notre-Dame / I Wish You Lonely / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / Half A Person / Our Frank / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Anon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe more than some, definitely less than others.
And, nope and nope. Not my style. Just a longtime fan that likes to share info here, learn and partake in civil discussion. Been fortunate to attend some after-show gatherings and have had the opportunity to meet him… even had to step over his legs once as he sat on the floor to get to my friends lol, but chose not to. How’s it go… “Never meet the people you admire (or look up to), you'll be disappointed.” 😉
I think you sound like someone who befriendrd AW to try and get close to Mozzy and when that didn't work out. When he wasnt interested you lost heart
You seem a bit of a bad faith actor.
Little hints here, digs there. It's nice you are friends with AW but AW is just another person who was in Mozzys,band Most people just are not intetszrd
As you know AW has never really been his friend. Like say Johnny was, back in the day or like Linder or James Maker or jake You can tell how mozzy thinks of AW in his autobiography.
I think Jesse has got close to Mozzy but even Jesse doesn't know how him well like a best friend does, going from what I've heard. Mozzy is his own army
I know some of us 90s fans were happy when AW joined the band again. We were hoping for another V and I but it didn't happen. Get over it. As for being a live unit this new band have only done 4 gigs. Once they gel they well be awsone. Must of the fans seemed to have had a brilliant time in Leeds and I think nobody cares too much about AW and the other one leaving.

Exactly
I'm sure Mozzy wouldnt have kept AW around much longer, anyway Especially as AWs mate keeps coming on here.
I don't mean to sound rude, but AW and his mate arent a mainline to Mozzys world. In some ways they are no closer than the rest of us. Same with the person who said they are close to the band
Mozzy keeps most of the band on a arms length basis. Same with all of the fans on the guest list. Mozzy himself is a mam apart
Give this new band a chance

The point that I've been trying to make is that Morrissey isn't obligated to keep working with Alain.

Over the span of 40 years, he's worked with different musicians who are not Alain, and together with them. they have made many great songs.

@dneuer, I'm not picking a fight with you here, but you do come across like you are imploring fans on this site into rallying behind Alain, painting him as an underdog who is vital to Morrissey's success.

The after show disco was fantastic. Bit of a trek (20 min walk) but well worth it and a good turn out. Had forgotten how many quality Smiths & Morrissey songs there are. Respect to the DJ for leafleting outside the gig then for the quality of his song choices and special thanks for playing my request of Maladjusted, which cleared the floor except for these top guys-

Attachments

• 78026501-26A7-4DF0-B0D1-D4DC1B59A507.jpeg
    78026501-26A7-4DF0-B0D1-D4DC1B59A507.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 197A9939-1EB3-437A-92C4-3B7DCD7DE590.jpeg
    197A9939-1EB3-437A-92C4-3B7DCD7DE590.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I think Mike Farrell is an incredible musician. Hands down the most talented keyboardist and multi-instrument player i've seen M work with.

Ok, thats it, I will be his personal M-solo advocate. Bring him back, Morrissey!

Well, it sounds like you must be in the know, more so than the average solo-er.

Perhaps you know Morrissey personally. Or, perhaps you want to give the impression that you do.

In my opinion, this band is phenomenal. They sound energetic, are in sync and look quite sexy altogether supporting the boss. They make M seem more youthful.

I, of course, am a nobody to Morrissey. He doesn't know me from a store bought orange bundt cake.
He knows AW NOT Mozzy

4BBECB35-F32B-4DF6-9A71-EB13D385F85B.jpeg

Met Jordan who had been to both Israeli gigs- I was mightily impressed! If you’re going to Liverpool and unsure about going to the after show disco because you’ll stand on your own, leave on your own and go home….we’ll, yes I did, but I also chatted to some lovely people too.

Attachments

• 8213F7D5-5197-48CD-9074-CB4BB4B2497C.jpeg
    8213F7D5-5197-48CD-9074-CB4BB4B2497C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The point that I've been trying to make is that Morrissey isn't obligated to keep working with Alain.

Over the span of 40 years, he's worked with different musicians who are not Alain, and together with them. they have made many great songs.

@dneuer, I'm not picking a fight with you here, but you do come across like you are imploring fans on this site into rallying behind Alain, painting him as an underdog who is vital to Morrissey's success.
Morrissey isn't obliged to keep working with anybody.

Alain and Boz played with him for so long and co-wrote so many great songs with him, that obviously people are fond of them.
IMO though, Morrissey can write great songs with pretty much anyone. I think his career shows this.

BTW is does seem like you're trying to pick a fight with dneuer? He's simply stated his opinion.

GBNews isn’t ‘right wing’ in the traditional sense that people understand it.

It is ‘culturally conservative’ which basically means it reflects many of the values of the traditional working class ‘Old Labour’… ie not ‘New Labour’… ie not ‘2023 Conservative’… or ‘2023 Labour’ for that matter.

Many people are simply unable to grasp this relatively recently forgotten concept / demographic, yet it represents the majority of the UK.

Morrissey understands that, which is why the working class don’t leave him however much the middle class despise him.
Laughable. Absolutely laughable.

Morrissey isn't obliged to keep working with anybody.

Alain and Boz played with him for so long and co-wrote so many great songs with him, that obviously people are fond of them.
IMO though, Morrissey can write great songs with pretty much anyone. I think his career shows this.

BTW is does seem like you're trying to pick a fight with dneuer? He's simply stated his opinion.
It'll be a shame if dneuer stops posting here. I find him refreshingly personable, humble and unpretentious.

"No Management"

This is not correct. He has always been bad in figures, so he has a team who works for him to sign contracts for such events, otherwise, he would be screwed getting just peanuts like in the Smiths days when he saw nothing from the tours. He is not able to be his own manager and live agent whereas Robert Smith does everything, hiring the venues, getting local promoters, paying the crew, RS supervises everything.

Technical errors are part of any professional’s life be it guitarist, dentist, mechanic etc…. If you only have to work with a microphone, your voice and a pen you probably wouldn’t understand what it means so cut the guitarist some slack, she did her best to resolve the problem.

I think you sound like someone who befriendrd AW to try and get close to Mozzy and when that didn't work out. When he wasnt interested you lost heart
You seem a bit of a bad faith actor.
Little hints here, digs there. It's nice you are friends with AW but AW is just another person who was in Mozzys,band Most people just are not intetszrd
As you know AW has never really been his friend. Like say Johnny was, back in the day or like Linder or James Maker or jake You can tell how mozzy thinks of AW in his autobiography.
I think Jesse has got close to Mozzy but even Jesse doesn't know how him well like a best friend does, going from what I've heard. Mozzy is his own army
I know some of us 90s fans were happy when AW joined the band again. We were hoping for another V and I but it didn't happen. Get over it. As for being a live unit this new band have only done 4 gigs. Once they gel they well be awsone. Must of the fans seemed to have had a brilliant time in Leeds and I think nobody cares too much about AW and the other one leaving.
Your attack is entirely unwarranted, but you are not original. Super fans always attack people who have or had actual access to the object of their desire, which you will never have. Get over it. You know nothing of dneuer's friendship with Alain, only what he chooses to share so it's really ridiculous of you to try to analyze it and dismiss it.

I think dneuer is very nice, he provides great commentary for the live shows and other things and is a total asset to this site, we are lucky to have him around.

Last edited:
Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Notre-Dame / I Wish You Lonely / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / Half A Person / Our Frank / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

• [Morrissey Central] "Leeds - WOW !" (July 13, 2023). Link posted by Famous when dead.

“thanks so much to Slow Readers Club and Lottery Winners for being a part of such a terrific event. God protect us all.”
    Morrissey.

photo above Juan Galeano (bass) and Carmen Vandenberg (guitars) by SER.
  • Leeds exclusive tee - link posted by This Charming Bowie (original post).

Setlist:

• [Morrissey Central] "Leeds - WOW !" (July 13, 2023). Link posted by Famous when dead.

“thanks so much to Slow Readers Club and Lottery Winners for being a part of such a terrific event. God protect us all.”
    Morrissey.

photo above Juan Galeano (bass) and Carmen Vandenberg (guitars) by SER.
  • Leeds exclusive tee - link posted by This Charming Bowie (original post).
A Fantastic night. The support was amazing. Brilliant crowd, Moz blistering. Highlights: Pop Dropped, Our Frank, Telephone rings, Jack.

Attachments

• IMG-20230713-WA0026.jpg
    IMG-20230713-WA0026.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20230713-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20230713-WA0020.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20230712-WA0077.jpg
    IMG-20230712-WA0077.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20230712-WA0074.jpg
    IMG-20230712-WA0074.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
Setlist wise, yes it’s not a stunner but actually I think that’s more to do with it being so similar (almost identical) to last years UK leg; when “Our Frank” “Please Please Please” and “The Loop” got played last year everyone went crackers and all sound great now still, so can’t blame Moz for not changing it up massively, especially with some band rearrangements.
This was my main issue with both Leeds and Portsmouth. Morrissey's voice was great, and objectively they were good shows, it's just the current setlist seems very tired.

Tracks like 'How Soon is Now', 'Jack the Ripper' (complete with smog and 'rats rats rats!'), 'Everyday is Like Sunday', 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris', etc have been played to death. Even 'Half a Person' has now outstayed it's welcome for me, and could do with shifting out for another Smiths song.

Which leaves the new material. On the last full UK tour, we had the excitement of 5 songs debuting from 'Bonfire of Teenagers', which kept things fresh (Veronica, Rebels, Kerouac, Bonfire, Telephone). This year the only truly new song is the execrable 'Notre Dame'. How about some tracks that have not yet been played in the UK, like 'I Live in Oblivion', or 'Saint in a Stained Glass Window'?

If we're talking classic songs, then where's all the 90's material - 'The More You Ignore Me', 'Boxers', 'The Boy Racer', 'Speedway', 'You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side, 'Now My Heart is Full' etc? The Your Arsenal/Vauxhall/Southpaw/Maladjusted era is almost completely ignored. Occasionally we get 'Alma Matters' and that's about it from this run.

Super fans always attack people who have or had actually access to the object of their desire, which you will never have.
I don’t know. This one calls him Mozzy, which would indicate some form of intimacy. I think that Queen Gary has a deeper understanding and closer connection than those of us who just call him Morrissey, and possibly even the people who refer to him as M.
I’ve never heard anyone call him “Mozzy” before. Well, apart from that time I was in the chemist buying extra large condoms and I overheard a lady in the queue for anti-weirdo pills talking about how much her favourite singer Mozzy spoke directly to her through his songs, and how she would put a Mozzy record on when she felt she was on the brink of losing it and smearing shit on the walls of her secure accommodation. Then she pissed herself.

Anyway, the photos from the Leeds gig look good and, as others have stated, dneuer has always come across as a nice guy and anyone who disagrees is likely just incredibly jealous of his fortunate position.

If we're talking classic songs, then where's all the 90's material - 'The More You Ignore Me', 'Boxers', 'The Boy Racer', 'Speedway', 'You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side, 'Now My Heart is Full' etc? The Your Arsenal/Vauxhall/Southpaw/Maladjusted era is almost completely ignored. Occasionally we get 'Alma Matters' and that's about it from this run.

Yeah, it's not been the most represented of era's. His last 48 shows (since start of 2020) have had the following. Bold is what's been played in 2023

1689235148866.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom