Nick Cave mentions Morrissey disappointment in Q&A (April 2024)

Seeing Moz pictured so recently in England, I didn't know what to think or say... so, I just saw the photo, since no comment seemed necessary.

Today, however, I found a Morrissey mention on Nick Cave's website and felt like sharing it with other Moz fans.

Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Nina Simone, Kanye, Van Morrison, Morrissey, Brian Eno, Leonard Cohen, Patti Smith – these are artists that, for me, form a kind of confederacy of excellence, but at one time or another they have each alienated, confounded or displeased me. They have often not travelled in the direction I would have hoped or wished for, instead following their own confounding paths (damn them!) to their own truths.

Seeing Moz pictured so recently in England, I didn't know what to think or say... so, I just saw the photo, since no comment seemed necessary.

Today, however, I found a Morrissey mention on Nick Cave's website and felt like sharing it with other Moz fans.

‘When I think of the artists that I truly admire, those that I have stuck with over the years, at some point in their lengthy careers they have all disappointed me. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Nina Simone, Kanye, Van Morrison, Morrissey, Brian Eno, Leonard Cohen, Patti Smith – these are artists that, for me, form a kind of confederacy of excellence, but at one time or another they have each alienated, confounded or displeased me. They have often not travelled in the direction I would have hoped or wished for, instead following their own confounding paths (damn them!) to their own truths. In the course of this I have sometimes been discomforted by things they have done, disagreed with things they have said, or not liked a particular record they have made. Yet there is something about them that keeps me captivated, and forever alert to what they might do next. More than anything, this has to do with their authenticity. I know that on a fundamental level they are on their own path and they are not in the business of shaping their lives, artistic or otherwise, in order to please or make others feel better. They are fully and acutely authentic, regardless of my feelings, or the feelings of anyone else and I find this deeply reassuring in a world that so often feels devoid of genuineness. In fact, if I sense that an artist is creating, saying or doing things just to win public approval, or to yield to the demands of the market, well, that’s when I tend to turn away.’

Nick Cave

‘When I think of the artists that I truly admire, those that I have stuck with over the years, at some point in their lengthy careers they have all disappointed me. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Nina Simone, Kanye, Van Morrison, Morrissey, Brian Eno, Leonard Cohen, Patti Smith – these are artists that, for me, form a kind of confederacy of excellence, but at one time or another they have each alienated, confounded or displeased me. They have often not travelled in the direction I would have hoped or wished for, instead following their own confounding paths (damn them!) to their own truths. In the course of this I have sometimes been discomforted by things they have done, disagreed with things they have said, or not liked a particular record they have made. Yet there is something about them that keeps me captivated, and forever alert to what they might do next. More than anything, this has to do with their authenticity. I know that on a fundamental level they are on their own path and they are not in the business of shaping their lives, artistic or otherwise, in order to please or make others feel better. They are fully and acutely authentic, regardless of my feelings, or the feelings of anyone else and I find this deeply reassuring in a world that so often feels devoid of genuineness. In fact, if I sense that an artist is creating, saying or doing things just to win public approval, or to yield to the demands of the market, well, that’s when I tend to turn away.’

Nick Cave
It was an engaging piece of writing which responded to the question, but it studiously didn’t answer it.

If he were to engage at all, Morrissey would (I think) willingly walk towards the guns and answer such a question. Unwise perhaps, in terms of his career, but admirable and thought provoking nevertheless.

Nick Cave
Great words from Mr Cave. All those names joined that list of great artists when they were quite young. Morrissey was no exception. It is tempting to ask, where are the younger artists coming along now to add to that list? There is no new artist I can think of currently that would come near making that list. Suggestions on a post card please.

Great words from Mr Cave. All those names joined that list of great artists when they were quite young. Morrissey was no exception. It is tempting to ask, where are the younger artists coming along now to add to that list? There is no new artist I can think of currently that would come near making that list. Suggestions on a post card please.
Lorde seems to be doing a fairly good job; some great songs. I expect her talent means she’ll be around long enough to put her foot in it.

The alternative country scene is very vibrant. Artists like Benjamin Tod, Colter Wall and Cody Jinks might not be cultural giants like Dylan, Patti and Cohen (few are), but they challenge their establishment and the listeners with thoughtful lyrics and very little compromise. They are who they are and they aren’t afraid to speak their truth. Of course, this is a very niche kind of music. I can’t think of anyone particularly interesting in the pop/rock world. I’m sure there are plenty, though. And I’ll probably kick myself very soon when I remember those I’m now forgetting.

Ian Richard Devaney and his band called Nation of Language comes to mind.

Is this the same Nick Caved-in that attended the coronation of the English 'King' Charles the turd recently?
Straight to the top of the class system.

Well, Jema sounds like an absolute dolt. In Iran people are publicly executed for being gay, women are beaten, imprisoned, or killed for daring to remove the hijab; but sure give Nick Cave shit for having Christian beliefs.

Well, Jema sounds like an absolute dolt. In Iran people are publicly executed for being gay, women are beaten, imprisoned, or killed for daring to remove the hijab; but sure give Nick Cave shit for having Christian beliefs.

This is just whataboutism. Your comment only makes sense if she had praised Iran, which she didn't. For all we know she'd have asked the same question if Cave had converted to Islam.

Can you imagine if our Morrissey answered fan questions??!! That would be absolutely amazing. Obviously you could pick and choose which questions he answered. C'mon! Add it to Morrissey Central! 🤩

Can you imagine if our Morrissey answered fan questions??!! That would be absolutely amazing. Obviously you could pick and choose which questions he answered. C'mon! Add it to Morrissey Central! 🤩
He used to do that, for True-To-You. I don't know if the relevant issues are archived. It would be interesting to read through those q & a's again. :)

There was a time that he did, infrequently, via the old True To You site.

Is this the same Nick Caved-in that attended the coronation of the English 'King' Charles the turd recently?
Straight to the top of the class system.
Certainly is, he explained his decision very well I thought albeit I was saddened as a fan. Also the same Nick Cave who is almost certainly the greatest musician of the past 40 odd years, does unexpected things u know? Isn't predictable, includes Morrissey in a list of the finest ever, has been consistent with our Morrissey good n bad, take his take over all others

Nick Cave - lucid, honest, intelligent, unwavering except to his own inner forces, and reigning supreme with a string of brilliant albums such as Ghosteen and Carnage. Of course I've preordered his upcoming album Wild God. A Cave-Moz duet would be the next best thing to a Brett Anderson/Moz duet.

While I'm blattering and dripping unlyrical wax, the new Brett Anderson 'paraorchestra' Death Songbook album is out today on vinyl, CD, and streaming services. A sublime concert that would be a perfect fit for our Moz.

I am crushed to smithereens by the mere notion that some people mention empty and hapless Brett Anderson in the same breath as the Great Nick Cave.

Taste is bestowed upon some. Not all.

I am crushed to smithereens by the mere notion that some people mention empty and hapless Brett Anderson in the same breath as the Great Nick Cave.

Brett’s not all that bad. Though, apples to oranges, really.

In other words, "I have an opinion."

He used to do that, for True-To-You. I don't know if the relevant issues are archived. It would be interesting to read through those q & a's again. :)
Sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't really remember. I wish he would do something like that again. As most of you agree, there's not too much interesting going on on Morrissey Central. They usually get the news after us. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom