Morrissey's Best & Worst Moment (Hey look I'm only human)

best:
2001-2003. not exactly a moment, iknow, but this was my best Moz period. beginning in the darkest days of Morrissey's self-imposed exile from the music industry, isomehow became drawn to him and began for the first time to truly delve into The Smiths and solo catalogues. it was a beautifully sad time in my life- crippled by depression and self-medication through alcholism, one devestating end to a relationship, followed by a brief yet incredibly meaningful romance, followed by the beginning of what would grow to be the longest and deepest love of my life- Morrissey was the soundtrack to it all. his sorrow and self-depricating wit, along with his ironic tendancies towards violence and bravado seemed to perfectly capture everything that ithought and felt at the time.

worst:
26 March 2006. One day before the release of his new single, "You Have Killed Me" and one week before the release of his new album, Ringleader Of The Tormentors, Morrissey, via a statement issued on true-to-you, announces that he will not be playing any concerts in Canada "in protest against the barbaric slaughter of over 325,000 baby seals...."

in his statement, Morrissey cites that the seal hunt in Canada as "the largest slaughter of marine animal species found anywhere on the planet." Nevermind the slaughter of billions of non-marine animal species occuring year round.

Morrissey also keenly foretells how the "Canadian government will stream all of the pelts into the fashion industry and this is the reason why the baby seals are killed with spiked clubs that crush their skulls - any damage to their pelts is avoided." despite "the fashion industry" supposedly being "the reason why the baby seals are [being] killed", there was never any plans made to boycott the fashion capitals of the world, such as Paris, London and New York.

he then goes on to compare the Canadian seal hunt to the "Construction of German gas chambers" and tops it all off by stating that "Canada has placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation." a brilliant deduction.

this led to a period of over a year where iparticipated ina boycott of my own, abstaining from purchasing or even listening to anything that came from Morrissey. ihav since returned to listening to his music, but iwill not spend another cent on Moz until he either returns to Canada or apologizes for his unbelievably idiotic words.

still, it will never be the same. more than Morrissey's little tiff with my country, it's become sadly apparent to me in the past year that the man ifell in love with has virtually disappeared. his bitterness and his arrogance has become almost too much to bare, and his declining abilities as an artist hav become toomuch to ignore. despite glimmers of brilliance here and there, little remains of the poet and myth that once spoke so close to me. isuppose, we'll always hav 01-03.

Last edited:
Best: The connection in St Louis, several times, before after during. It was amazing and made my life.

Worst: Weeping on the New York subway because I made a bad, bad decision earlier.

Back
Top Bottom