what do you really love about the man /

I became a fan of The Smiths through some friends when I was 15. I was into drugs a wee bit then, but haven't touched any for about 10 years or more. When I gave the drugs up, I still always love The Smiths and Moz. His music seems so personal to me, shit, some of his music is ABOUT me!! It's as though Moz is singing to me when he sings. I can totally and utterly relax to his music. Moz/The Smiths are very high in the list of 'reasons to live' in my life.

Around late '83, my best friend who was into British pop music tipped me that Boy George was raving about a new group called The Smiths. Few months later I recorded a radio programme which first broadcasted songs from their first album in Japan, but at that point I failed to notice their significance due to my lack of knowledge of English and concentration. However, in September 84, I heard "William, it was really nothing" which changed everything. Since then I haven't stopped loving them.

Morrissey is the best cultural ambassador of Britain. He introduced me people like George Formby, Edith Sitwell, Pat Phoenix etc. Although being a film buff long before the existance of The Smiths, I never imagined to hear Pasolini, Visconti, Magnani and Brasseur in Morrissey's songs and really pleased about it.

So, not an original answer really, but - I love him because I can relate.

I think the turning point was when he looked upon me from the stage and sang:

There's a club, if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home
And you cry
And you want to die

I thought: Shit, how do you know??

I think I began being a really serious Smiths fan with The Queen is Dead album. Even though I am in Australia,
it amused me (Title track) so much especially the line about Prince Charles, that was the start of my fascination for Morrissey long before I even thought about what he looked like......oh and I do remember the news story about the guy who broke into the palace.

the songs that he constantly plays say much to me about my life,alo is his top quiff,his top wit, and his top stage performances

So many perfect answers already

'I thought: Shit, how do you know??' - yeah exactly. For me it happened with a different song than you, Sister, but that's just it - 'how COULD he know?' It's basically the same deal whenever I fall in love with any artist, but yeah absolutely, I fell from the feeling of shock that some distant, different person could describe situatons I'd experienced - and, more bafflingly, complicated emotions I'd felt - with such PRECISION. That's always the question: god, how DOES he know?

Still, I would be remiss if I didn't also include the following reasons that I'm a Morrissey fan,

He's my favorite lyricist and lyrics are my favorite part of pop music

He's such an unabashed fan of his own heroes

His own fanbase is often quite beautiful

I do 'really love' that he is so unique and intriguing - I know that's phrased vaguely, but every time I see a picture or video of him, or hear his voice, I'm so struck by precisely those two qualities; that's how I can phrase it anyway. At base, I suppose, Morrissey simply looks and sounds important.

The beauty of The Smiths' singles sleeves, I love Morrissey for that

His Haircut

HIS HANDWRITING

Stage invaders

1980s-early 1990s Morrissey: I have never seen a better dancer in my life, he makes me so f***ing jealous the way he used to move

And I know some consider this to be shallow, but bah! When you look at The Smiths' records sleeves, is the beauty of their surface not holy? Morrissey's physical beauty is holy too. It takes effort, cunning, and above all, intelligence, to look That Good for That Long.

love
math+

Last edited:
For me like most others it was the lyrics. I remember when I 1st heard the Smiths and thought wow someone else feels the same way I do. The songs were written for me. How Soon is Now, hell it still describes my life.

Math Tinder said:
So many perfect answers already

'I thought: Shit, how do you know??' - yeah exactly. For me it happened with a different song than you, Sister, but that's just it - how COULD he know?' It's basically the same deal whenever I fall in love with any artist, but yeah absolutely, I fell from the feeling of shock that some distant, different person could describe situatons I'd experienced - and, more bafflingly, complicated emotions I'd felt - with such PRECISION. That's always the question: god, how DOES he know?

Still, I would be remiss if I didn't also include the following reasons that I'm a Morrissey fan,

He's my favorite lyricist and lyrics are my favorite part of pop music

He's such an unabashed fan of his own heroes

His own fanbase is often quite beautiful

I do 'really love' that he is so unique and intriguing - I know that's phrased vaguely, but every time I see a picture or video of him, or hear his voice, I'm so struck by precisely those two qualities; that's how I can phrase it anyway. At base, I suppose, Morrissey simply looks and sounds important.

The beauty of The Smith's singles sleeves, I love Morrissey for that

His Haircut

HIS HANDWRITING

Stage invaders

1980s-early 1990s Morrissey: I have never seen a better dancer in my life, he makes me so f***ing jealous the way he used to move

And I know some consider this to be shallow, but bah! When you look at The Smiths' records sleeves, is the beauty of their surface not holy? Morrissey's physical beauty is holy too. It takes effort, cunning, and above all, intelligence, to look That Good for That Long.

love
math+

took my words :) specially the dancing

Seeems like it's complicated to answer that, but to me it's simple:

The sharpened lyrics that tells the story of your life, the lovely voice, the perfect phrazing, the bitter-sweet music that reflects the geniously contrast between happy music and sad lyrics.

Last edited:
Beautifully said Math+

I also agree about the fanbase. It's quite nice when you can relate to more than one person.

The first thing I ever noticed and loved about him was his humour, I just thought he was really really funny. The hearing aid, the flowers in the pocket, the silly dancing, the ripping open his shirt to reveal the words Marry Me on his chest, singing of girlfriends in comas and being knocked down by ten ton trucks, he always made Top of the Pops really come alive for me and always made me smile. Of course I adore the music and the lyrics but I don't really relate personally or emotionally to the songs. So even though he doesn't specifically say all that much to me about my life he has made me very very happy and given me a huge amount of pleasure over the years.

Last edited:
What do I really love about Morrissey? His wit and pith. :) I adore his silly, very British sense of humour. That and the fact that he is so unapologetically himself and will always stand by what he says, no matter what. He is courageous and unique, and fiercely intelligent, and all these things together make him very loveable (to me).

1. His intellect
2. Always true to himself
3. Firmly held beliefs.
4. Wicked sense of humour
5. Lovely hair!
6. Best lyricist on the planet
7. Ability to age gracefully
8. Brilliant live artist
9. Air of mystery
10. Wrote the soundtrack to certain moments of my life.

The list goes on..........................

I love his moral integrity, sensibility, humour, brillant lyrics.I actually think he is Oscar Wilde of our time. Of course, i can relate totally . But the way he describes his pain is absolutely brillant

I could list many things that others have touched on-- the wit, the lyrics, the style, and all the rest-- but honestly the one thing that floored me from the beginning was the imagery of The Smiths record sleeves. "Loving" Morrissey seems like a bizarre concept considering that all we know of him and will ever know is his art and his status as an icon and his use of other icons.

So in my case it was the iconography. For me, Morrissey wasn't "Morrissey" at first. I played "The Queen Is Dead" for two months before realizing, reading the cassette cover one day (which didn't have the Salford Lads Club photo), that the lead singer only had one name. By then I was in a swoon that lasted for years. But the imagery of The Smiths hooked me from the start, stoking my imagination, and of course that imagery is such a fascinating and important part of Morrissey's personality.

Back
Top Bottom