Do you understand what all the fuss was about?

It wasn't the performance the fuss was about,
it was the NME article that followed it: 'Flying the flag or flirting with diaster'.

> I don't.
Me neither. Hes not even waving the flag, he´s kind of tramping on it! I would have thrown coins at him If I were a flagwaving Nazi!

The first flag looked like he picked it up from the middle of the stage, as if someone threw it from the audience. But,then, he whips out a second flag from behind the speakers, briefly wraps himself with it and then carries on.

Moz frightened me more with that mic stand! Duck!

Oh, and I recognized the backdrop.

It looked like the skinhead girls photo. It may have caused a stir.

morrissey as racist, an explanation

the media (and others) took things morrissey said, combined with he did, and the skinhead imagery he chose for the backdrop, and made it into much more than it was.

in the past, he'd been labelled 'racist' because of things like such as his "all reggae is vile" comment, and another comment he made years later saying he didn't think black people and white people would ever really get along. some even tried to say "burn down the disco" was targted at black music, as if only black people make dance music - which is ridiculous and racist itself. then you throw in "bengali in platforms" ("life is hard enough when you belong here," implying that the bengali in question doesn't belong in the UK).

so...that brings us round to "your arsenal," with "the national front disco" (for those who don't know, the national front is a racist political movement) and "we'll let you know" (which glorifies football hooligans, who are often characterised as racists, perhaps rightly so).

on stage during the tour, one of the tour backdrops was two skinhead gals.

then we come to waving the union jack (which, like the ameriKKKan flag, is seized upon by racist elements as belonging to them) in front of an audience full of madness fans (they continue to have some skinhead followers despite not sharing those views themselves).

morrissey was definitely showing poor judgment, and by the NME was painted as a racist, or at the very least as someone who was "flirting" with the racist imagery and symbolism. unfortunately it spread through the media, and morrissey, instead of addressing it, remained silent on the matter. another bit of bad judgment on his part.

that's basically what happened...

morrissey as racist, an explanation

the media (and others) took things morrissey said, combined with what he did, and the skinhead imagery he chose for the backdrop, and made it into much more than it was.

in the past, he'd been labelled 'racist' because of things like such as his "all reggae is vile" comment, and another comment he made years later saying he didn't think black people and white people would ever really get along. some even tried to say "burn down the disco" was targted at black music, as if only black people make dance music - which is ridiculous and racist itself. then you throw in "bengali in platforms" ("life is hard enough when you belong here," implying that the bengali in question doesn't belong in the UK).

so...that brings us round to "your arsenal," with "the national front disco" (for those who don't know, the national front is a racist political movement) and "we'll let you know" (which glorifies football hooligans, who are often characterised as racists, perhaps rightly so).

on stage during the tour, one of the tour backdrops was two skinhead gals.

then we come to waving the union jack (which, like the ameriKKKan flag, is seized upon by racist elements as belonging to them) in front of an audience full of madness fans (they continue to have some skinhead followers despite not sharing those views themselves).

morrissey was definitely showing poor judgment, and by the NME was painted as a racist, or at the very least as someone who was "flirting" with the racist imagery and symbolism. unfortunately it spread through the media, and morrissey, instead of addressing it, remained silent on the matter. another bit of bad judgment on his part.

that's basically what happened...

> Moz frightened me more with that mic stand! Duck!

yeah, he definitely was much more mobile back then.

morrissey as a sex god: an explanation

he looked so hot in his jeans and gold lame that jealous boyfriends who were tired of their girlfriends oggling him conspired to pelt him off stage.

Re: What you may have missed is....

> I don't.

This was a gig in London, in front of an audience of people who most probably think of themselves in some way as Londoners and Madness and Ian Dury are very strongly identified as Londoners. Clearly Morrissey was/is well known for being Mancunian.

Morrissey was singing "London is Dead, London is Dead" and he didn't endear himself to the audience, most of whome were there to see Madness - except for me of course only wanted to see Morrissey (enjoyed Ian Dury too though). Probably needled people that Moz was higher up the bill than Ian Dury too.

If it were a cape he would've done the same! It's like finally seeing Zapruder's film, but with...

no punchline...

The NME doesn't deserve him.

Back
Top Bottom