Scott Rodger (Maverick) leaks Morrissey information and email re: Bonfire / Miley via X (October 17, 2023)

There's been drama!

20231017_090414.jpg

20231017_090437.jpg

IMG_20231017_085912.jpg

Related item:

Last edited:
Someone will have to explain exactly what's happened for him to respond properly & that's unlikely to come from his camp.
Has he become illiterate or slow in some way or are you just infantalizing him again? He can't read tweets? He can't read emails he's already seen and read and sent?

Someone will have to explain exactly what's happened for him to respond properly & that's unlikely to come from his camp.
Oh my god, he is a grown man, not some kind of technologically-illiterate, mentally incompetent simpleton. Explain to him exactly what has happened? He wrote the f***ing emails! If he can read/write emails, he is more than capable of looking on Twitter and browsing this website.

Your constant need to mother him is just weird. Really weird.

If he reads this website, he probably hates your posts. “Who is this daft old woman, telling people what I think, speaking on my behalf, talking about me like I’m an idiot?!”
Season 1 GIF by SHOWTIME

Last edited:
I've been trying to follow this. The Wiki timeline says Veronica debuted 10 May 2021 - surely that should be 2022? Anyway, my view at this stage is that Morrissey's manager and record company were at fault for not chasing up getting the green light to credit Miley. Here, we were speculating about her being on it ever since 10 February 2022 when the photo of her very obviously at Andrew Watt's recording studio with Morrissey was put on Central. It was unreasonable of anyone to expect Morrissey to lie about it for all eternity.

I've been trying to follow this. The Wiki timeline says Veronica debuted 10 May 2021 - surely that should be 2022? Anyway, my view at this stage is that Morrissey's manager and record company were at fault for not chasing up getting the green light to credit Miley. Here, we were speculating about her being on it ever since 10 February 2022 when the photo of her very obviously at Andrew Watt's recording studio with Morrissey was put on Central. It was unreasonable of anyone to expect Morrissey to lie about it for all eternity.
Fixed.
The page isn't public via any Wiki linkage, it was something I was working on intermittently to later link in to Capitol Records.
FWD.

Did you not pay attention to any of this?

Just on the point about it being unreasonable to expect Morrissey to lie. Nobody asked him to, they just for the participation of their “employee” to be uncredited. Like it or not, by the time this came around to being released Miley was under contract with Columbia, she had agreed terms, probably taken financial advances and was bound to those terms. It’s a shame Columbia didn’t want her credited but the simple fact is that they do have a say of what happens with her.

Columbia are just protecting their investment.

Just on the point about it being unreasonable to expect Morrissey to lie. Nobody asked him to, they just for the participation of their “employee” to be uncredited. Like it or not, by the time this came around to being released Miley was under contract with Columbia, she had agreed terms, probably taken financial advances and was bound to those terms. It’s a shame Columbia didn’t want her credited but the simple fact is that they do have a say of what happens with her.

Columbia are just protecting their investment.
Maybe we need to see more e-mails but it just seems to have been needlessly protracted. Miley was signed to Columbia in March 2021, so not long after BoT was recorded. Morrissey was trying to get clarification on Miley's wishes in January 2022, but Ron Perry didn't nix it til November 2022? Someone wasn't on the ball there, surely? My point was that Capitol seem to have green lit it for a long time without getting the required clearance, and then Morrissey was under pressure to keep quiet without knowing what Miley wanted him to do.

My god, it's so frustrating when people, including M himself, don't understand that this is a point of law regarding Miley Cyrus being credited/uncredited. Her opinion is completely irrelevant as she is pretty much owned by her record label and personal opinions, unfortunately, don't trump legalities/contractual obligations.

However, if Capitol knew that her inclusion on the sleeve had not been given the go ahead by her label and started production anyway then they aren't faultless either.

God knows what he's going to do, but I expect it will be the opposite of what a normal person who wants less stress would do.

It's sad to see him grovelling over such a vapid person; the type he would have run in the opposite direction to decades ago.

My god, it's so frustrating when people, including M himself, don't understand that this is a point of law regarding Miley Cyrus being credited/uncredited. Her opinion is completely irrelevant as she is pretty much owned by her record label and personal opinions, unfortunately, don't trump legalities/contractual obligations.

However, if Capitol knew that her inclusion on the sleeve had not been given the go ahead by her label and started production anyway then they aren't faultless either.

God knows what he's going to do, but I expect it will be the opposite of what a normal person who wants less stress would do.

It's sad to see him grovelling over such a vapid person; the type he would have run in the opposite direction to decades ago.
I do understand about contractual obligations. I haven't seen any evidence of a virtual or physical Veronica single being in existence, so what we are talking about is Morrissey having posted about Miley being on the backing vocals in a post on Central on 29 October 2022 (after having talked about it on stage two weeks earlier). This is what Scott says caused the problem with Columbia, but that seems to have been at most a trigger - surely with all the speculation on here and with Miley's distinctive voice and with the photo of her from the recording studio, the single could never have legitimately gone ahead, and expecting Morrissey to just keep quiet was absolute nonsense. The manager should have sorted this out with Capitol much earlier. If he tried to, I haven't seen the evidence of it.

I do understand about contractual obligations. I haven't seen any evidence of a virtual or physical Veronica single being in existence, so what we are talking about is Morrissey having posted about Miley being on the backing vocals in a post on Central on 29 October 2022 (after having talked about it on stage two weeks earlier). This is what Scott says caused the problem with Columbia, but that seems to have been at most a trigger - surely with all the speculation on here and with Miley's distinctive voice and with the photo of her from the recording studio, the single could never have legitimately gone ahead, and expecting Morrissey to just keep quiet was absolute nonsense. The manager should have sorted this out with Capitol much earlier. If he tried to, I haven't seen the evidence of it.
This part of the whole drama is just speculation, however, as (especially) vinyl production schedules are crazy thes days ( you need to submit records in 6-7-8 months advance), the very likely scenario is, Capitol sent the record for pressing (or test-pressing), then in the interim months Morrissey announced MC's contribution on stage, kickstarting the whole shitstorm.

Well, that email clearly states that it was produced, and it was done before clearance had been given from her label.

The photograph and what he said on stage likely wouldn't have mattered as much. It's about her name being attached to that single/on the sleeve due to the record labels being competitors.

I absolutely agree that the manager and label should have finalised any agreement BEFORE they sent the single into production.

Well, that email clearly states that it was produced, and it was done before clearance had been given from her label.

The photograph and what he said on stage likely wouldn't have mattered as much. It's about her name being attached to that single/on the sleeve due to the record labels being competitors.

I absolutely agree that the manager and label should have finalised any agreement BEFORE they sent the single into production.

I think it's worse than that. The whole "We responded to the request the day it was received..." makes it sound like production went ahead *after* that immediate denial. Whose fault that is, none of us can know

I think it's worse than that. The whole "We responded to the request the day it was received..." makes it sound like production went ahead *after* that immediate denial. Whose fault that is, none of us can know
Yes, I can see where you're coming from. That sounds entirely plausible.

It wasn't enough for Morrissey to have the artisitic satisfaction of knowing that Miley Cyrus was singing on his record (insofar as one can garner satisfaction from such a thing...).

Rather, it was absolutely crucial to him for the rest of the world to know that Miley Cyrus was singing on a Morrissey record. Hence his insistence that her name be on the sleeve.

His obsession with publicity and chart placings is pathalogical. He's not an up and coming artist. He's already enjoyed huge critical acclaim in his career. I don't get why he feels the need to degrade and embarass himself like this.

It wasn't enough for Morrissey to have the artisitic satisfaction of knowing that Miley Cyrus was singing on his record (insofar as one can garner satisfaction from such a thing...).

Rather, it was absolutely crucial to him for the rest of the world to know that Miley Cyrus was singing on a Morrissey record. Hence his insistence that her name be on the sleeve.

His obsession with publicity and chart placings is pathalogical. He's not an up and coming artist. He's already enjoyed huge critical acclaim in his career. I don't get why he feels the need to degrade and embarass himself like this.
And, as others have referenced, the crowning jewel on the absurdity is that – at least in the 10 seconds of studio recording that we got with tour promotion two years ago – Miley's vocal is barely present in the mix. A full-throated Thelma Houston duet this is most assuredly not

Back
Top Bottom