Request magazine article - comparing Morrissey to Bono.

Dave2006

Can anyone help?
I read an article several years ago (in the UK, mid 1990's, VOX, Q something like that) about Morrissey. It started off talking about Bono how he may sell loads of CDs and sell out concerts all over the world, but it must bug him that he wakes up every morning knowing that his music isn't a patch on the work of Morrissey...

I can't remember how the rest of the article went but I'd love to be able to read it again - somewhere in the past my dad had a tidy out and I lost loads of old magazine and newspaper clippings.

Does any one remember it? Does anyone have it? Can anyone scan and upload it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

This was an advertisement for the Best... albums that was printed in Q magazine. I have it somewhere in my collection and if nobody else has it, I'll dig it up and scan it this evening. It's definitely one of my favorite statements on the genius of The Smiths.

This was an advertisement for the Best... albums that was printed in Q magazine. I have it somewhere in my collection and if nobody else has it, I'll dig it up and scan it this evening. It's definitely one of my favorite statements on the genius of The Smiths.

It would be great if you could dig it out and scan it, I'd be ever so grateful.
Cheers
Dave

It would be great if you could dig it out and scan it, I'd be ever so grateful.
Cheers
Dave

I'm sorry, I didn't get around to digging this out last night. I will try to do it after work today.

Well, I couldn't find the original copy of this ad, just a poor quality photocopy in a fanzine, but here's the text:

"It must be funny being U2. Imagine. You're the world's biggest group. Your every move receives the full glare of public scrutiny, your every utterance is scanned for meaning and import, you can sell out concerts across the globe, get world leaders on the phone and have millions queue to buy your records. And yet in your heart of hearts you know you weren't a patch on The Smiths. And this doesn't only apply to U2. It goes for Guns 'n' Roses, Nirvana, Bruce Springsteen and every other colossus of modern rock. Each in their own way have good things to offer but, let's be serious, they weren't The Smiths, were they?" - SELECT

Hope that's what you were looking for!

That's great, thanks.
I could have sworn it was an article and not just an advert....#the passage of time, and all of its sickening crimes# I suppose.
Cheers
Dave

That's great, thanks.
I could have sworn it was an article and not just an advert....#the passage of time, and all of its sickening crimes# I suppose.
Cheers
Dave

It might have been - I might just not have the full article. I thought it was originally part of a review of the re-release of the Smiths catalogue.

Back
Top Bottom