First Communion

Our Lady

Catholics - and Lutherans, if you must (yawn) - tell me the story of your first reception of the Eucharist. Did you feel suffocated or serene? Any severe change of mood? Any other peculiarities?

From what I gather, First Communion is usually taken at an early age, so many people may not even remember it. It seems strange that it's taken so early. Given the supposed magnitude of the ceremony, it would surely be more sensible to hold it when the child is of an age he/she will remember and is fully understanding of what's actually taking place. But never mind that.

I anxiously anticipate no more than three replies.

Re: First Communion.

Catholics - and Lutherans, if you must (yawn) - tell me the story of your first reception of the Eucharist. Did you feel suffocated or serene? Any severe change of mood? Any other peculiarities?

I anxiously anticipate no more than three replies.

Not sure why the feelings they had would matter, given that it's all made up bunk. A roller coaster or a birthday party elicits feelings. But being that feelings are a personal, human thing, that doesn't say a lot to me about either of those events.

I'm responding not for your benefit, since you surely could give a crap about me and my response, you adorably arrogant thing you.

It sucked. I was pretty little. I was scared. When I got home we had a party and I got a lot of money.

Not sure why the feelings they had would matter, given that it's all made up bunk. A roller coaster or a birthday party elicits feelings. But being that feelings are a personal, human thing, that doesn't say a lot to me about either of those events.

I'm responding not for your benefit, since you surely could give a crap about me and my response, you adorably arrogant thing you.

I don't know what you're getting at. Whether or not it's 'made up bunk' is irrelevant to the experience of a believer. Therefore, this thread is as valid as any other 'share-your-experience' type of thread on the forums (of which there are/have been plenty).

Are you Catholic?

Not to stray too far from the topic (as I really would like an answer), why would you think I don't care about you or your opinions?

I don't remember too much except for the party afterwards. A few yrs later I gave up on religion.

It sucked. I was pretty little. I was scared. When I got home we had a party and I got a lot of money.

I don't remember too much except for the party afterwards. A few yrs later I gave up on religion.

That seems to be the customary answer, which is why it should be taken at a more mature age.

Were you aware of what was supposed to be happening? Was it explained to you in depth?

Last edited:

I'm actually going to have to make mine soon. My father never wanted me to have a religion forced upon me...but I chose my father's family's religion anyway. Odd.

...I could have chosen my mom's religion (It alternates between Baptist, Penecostal and Non denominational Christian)

I don't know what you're getting at. Whether or not it's 'made up bunk' is irrelevant to the experience of a believer. Therefore, this thread is as valid as any other 'share-your-experience' type of thread on the forums (of which there are/have been plenty).

Are you Catholic?

Not to stray too far from the topic (as I really would like an answer), why would you think I don't care about you or your opinions?

I thought I remembered you saying as much to me in a previous thread... plus the "I'm looking forward to three responses." I could be mistaken.

OK, so my question was, I'm curious as to why you're curious about the feelings experienced. Are you just curious? Or is this to answer some kind of question?

^^^^
That's how it should be children should be able to choose and not it have foreced upon them.

Yeah it was explained to me, but as a kid it made no sense, and well it doesn't. The body of christ yeah thought that was odd. My parents made me so i had no choice.

I'm actually going to have to make mine soon. My father never wanted me to have a religion forced upon me...but I chose my father's family's religion anyway. Odd.

...I could have chosen my mom's religion (It alternates between Baptist, Penecostal and Non denominational Christian)

I was reading about the RCIA process. At what stage will you take Communion? How gradual is the process? It differs, I suppose?

I thought I remembered you saying as much to me in a previous thread... plus the "I'm looking forward to three responses." I could be mistaken.

OK, so my question was, I'm curious as to why you're curious about the feelings experienced. Are you just curious? Or is this to answer some kind of question?

I only said I anticipated three responses as I'm aware of the resentment some harbour for their Catholic upbringing. I just didn't think it would be a popular subject. And I'm just curious.

I had no bad or good feelings about it - like the others have said all I really liked about it was the party, chance to wear a nice white dress and presents etc. I remember having to go to Liturgy classes before it though.

That seems to be the customary answer, which is why it should be taken at a more mature age.

Were you aware of what was supposed to be happening? Was it explained to you in depth?

NO. It was "Memorize these prayers" (no help in understanding what they meant) and "Here are the 10 commandments, and this is how you make decisions"

I don't send my children to church. I will answer any questions, take them to check it out, whatever, but I want them to think for themselves and know right from wrong-but not because 'it said it in the 10 commandments'.

Also, The Catholic Church in my state is full of hypocrites, when a priest admits to molesting a child they would just send him to a new town. Great.
New kids to molest. I'm not saying all of them are child abusers, but
they certainly do protect them.

Are you seeking repentance for something? Or are you just soliciting acumen in order to do that?

growing up as a Baptist, I was supposed to be baptized but never was. Baptists believe you should be baptized when you are older and understand whats going on. for whatever reason, I never did it when I was younger, and I remember being a teenager and feeling guilt about it, and thinking that i wouldnt make it into heaven if i wasnt baptized. i think i never wanted to do it, b/c I was too self conscious. you had to get into some hospital type gown, infront of the whole congregation, get into this mini pool type thing with the pastor, and get your head dunked. felt weird about that. obviously now im glad i wasnt. it's a bunch of crap really. i mean, even if you are religious in some form or another, you shouldnt feel like that's something you have to do to make it into heaven, or to be considered a "real" christian.

Our Lady asked a question.
Your response is why so many people here have such little regard for you.

Are you seeking repentance for something? Or are you just soliciting acumen in order to do that?

I don't know what I'm doing, to tell you the truth. Are you really interested?

NO. It was "Memorize these prayers" (no help in understanding what they meant) and "Here are the 10 commandments, and this is how you make decisions"

I don't send my children to church. I will answer any questions, take them to check it out, whatever, but I want them to think for themselves and know right from wrong-but not because 'it said it in the 10 commandments'.

Also, The Catholic Church in my state is full of hypocrites, when a priest admits to molesting a child they would just send him to a new town. Great.
New kids to molest. I'm not saying all of them are child abusers, but
they certainly do protect them.

It's interesting how careless the Church has become. I've recently been reading about Catholic convents of the late Middle-Ages, and the severity of the initiation rites imposed upon candidates is frightening. There was, for example, a cloister in the centre of Paris and anybody wishing to enter had to wait outside for seven days & nights without food. All of that came before postulance (sp?) and taking the solemn vows.

Of course it's different for a would-be monk or clergyman, but on every level one had to actually prove one's commitment before being considered a 'proper Catholic', whereas nowadays the effort isn't even made to explain to a child the supposed importance of Communion, or even the meaning of a simple set of prayers.

Do you still consider yourself to be a Catholic, by the way?

I'm certain that Catholicism was, at some point in history, a more comforting & genuine presence, and it seems as though it was impossible to break the belief and the...gentility of those committed to it. It became such a harsh institution when people started to question its teachings, the existence of its divinity or simply lost interest altogether, which is when the church began to panic and all manner of ridiculous codes & practices were created.

Please excuse my lack of succinctness.

Our Lady asked a question.
Your response is why so many people here have such little regard for you.

Come to bed?

I asked you a question once, never got a reply. And I spent the best part of twenty seconds thinking, 'le dame est impoli!', and I had such little regard for you for those twenty seconds, but I let it go because it wasn't important.

Perhaps you should try it, before every thread on the forum consists of you and your lot squaring up to him and his lot.

Come to bed?

I asked you a question once, never got a reply. And I spent the best part of twenty seconds thinking, 'le dame est impoli!', and I had such little regard for you for those twenty seconds, but I let it go because it wasn't important.

Perhaps you should try it, before every thread on the forum consists of you and your lot squaring up to him and his lot.

Hmmm.....Sorry.
If you remember what you asked me, and if you still care to ask, then go ahead.

I don't know what I'm doing, to tell you the truth. Are you really interested?

It's interesting how careless the Church has become. I've recently been reading about Catholic convents of the late Middle-Ages, and the severity of the initiation rites imposed upon candidates is frightening. There was, for example, a cloister in the centre of Paris and anybody wishing to enter had to wait outside for seven days & nights without food. All of that came before postulance (sp?) and taking the solemn vows.

Of course it's different for a would-be monk or clergyman, but on every level one had to actually prove one's commitment before being considered a 'proper Catholic', whereas nowadays the effort isn't even made to explain to a child the supposed importance of Communion, or even the meaning of a simple set of prayers.

Do you still consider yourself to be a Catholic, by the way?

I'm certain that Catholicism was, at some point in history, a more comforting & genuine presence, and it seems as though it was impossible to break the belief and the...gentility of those committed to it. It became such a harsh institution when people started to question its teachings, the existence of its divinity or simply lost interest altogether, which is when the church began to panic and all manner of ridiculous codes & practices were created.

Please excuse my lack of succinctness.

No, I do not consider myself Catholic. I actually do not like the idea of
organized religion at all. My daughter's always telling me that religion has
caused most of the wars. (She is 17 and knows everything.) When I ask her what she means she says I won't understand. Brat.
A few months ago some Mormon's came to our door. She invited them back for the next morning and proceeded to grill them for almost 2 hours. I was in the next room but I wasn't really listening because I was painting & the
music was on. I think she may have convinced them to leave their church.

I was reading about the RCIA process. At what stage will you take Communion? How gradual is the process? It differs, I suppose?

I'm not very sure. I have to go talk to Father Dan again. I expressed interest a couple years ago, but I never proceeded because several factors prevented it. I hope to walk over to St. Ann's soon and find out. I'm sure it immensely more accelerated than the years and years one has to spend in CCD as a child.

Tags
eatinggodsflesh fsm_ftw!
Back
Top Bottom